UnfairDownloadTaxes.com is an informal group of leading companies, trade associations, and consumer organizations united to protect the online marketplace from excessive and discriminatory taxes. Our members are:
- investing billions to build and expand broadband networks;
- developing the content and applications that help American businesses and governments be more productive;
- enriching the lives of millions of people with new ways to inform, educate, and entertain;
- creating jobs for a new generation of problem solvers, entrepreneurs, and entertainers.
Our mission is to:
- protect consumers from excessive and discriminatory new taxes on digital content, whether these taxes are imposed directly on consumers or hidden in the price of the products and services they buy;
- preserve millions of digital economy jobs that could be jeopardized by excessive and discriminatory taxes that stifle innovation, creativity, and entrepreneurship;
- prevent excessive and discriminatory taxes that would discourage investment in broadband networks, and discourage investment in research and development of innovative digital products and services.
Why it is important:
UnfairDownloadTaxes.com gives a voice to consumers, entrepreneurs, and millions of other Americans whose livelihoods depend on a thriving digital marketplace. With state and local governments facing unprecedented revenue shortfalls, the threat of excessive and discriminatory new taxes has never been greater.
We mobilize consumers, business owners, and associations in each state where the threat of excessive and discriminatory taxes emerges. Working together, we will ensure that state legislators and local officials understand that America’s future depends upon the innovation, creativity, and connectivity that a robust digital marketplace provides. Together, we will defeat excessive and discriminatory taxes on the digital marketplace.